PhD SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY (1 Position)
The Centre for Research in Energy and Energy Conservation (CREEC) together with the University of Leeds-UK, University Marien Ngouabi-Congo Brazaville, Dar es Salaam Institute of Technology (DIT) & University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM) and Makerere University are starting a new research project entitled “Solar treatment of biomass for power generation using carbon slurries in hybrid renewable energy systems” with funding from The Royal Society – Department for International development ( RS-DFID). Within the project, each partnering university in Africa will train one PhD student. As part of this project, we are now recruiting a PhD student to conduct research with a focus on electricity generation through fuelling generators with biomass slurries.
Description of the Position
The selected candidate will conduct research as part of the above project with the objective to contribute to the successful completion of this project and to obtain a PhD degree in engineering from Makerere University. The PhD student’s activities of the project will last three years. Training in both academic and transferable skills for the PhD student and the staff in the project will be provided in the three African consortium partners and the EPSRC Bioenergy Centre for Doctoral Training at Leeds. PhD students at the Leeds Bioenergy Centre will be twinned with the African students for exchange visits. The PhD student will work full time on the project.
Profile of Candidate
- The applicant must be a citizen or permanent resident of Uganda
- The applicant should have a Master’s Degree in an engineering field or an energy related field with a focus on biomass technologies from an internationally recognized university
- The applicant should be at an early stage of his/her career
- The applicant should have an excellent academic and educational record
- The applicant should have strong analytical and writing skills (any peer-reviewed publications or previous research experience will be an advantage)
- The applicant should be fully proficient in the English language
- Having conducted research on bioenergy or thermochemical processes will be considered a major advantage
- Experience in experimental research methodology will also be considered an advantage
Applicants are required to send a statement of motivation and a comprehensive CV which includes names and contact details of three references and academic documents, to the Managing Director, Mary Suzan Abbo (email@example.com). The application deadline is 13th December, 2016 at 16.00 hours.